Wellness wearables are all the rage, but have you ever stopped to think exactly why we wear them where we wear them? It seems like sort of a given — the wrist is a convenient place to glance if you need a quick gauge on time and health — but are there more in-depth reasons why the wrist is the ideal place to sport your wellness wearable? It all comes down to things we can’t see, including the energy meridians in the body and the natural frequencies that affect them.
We’ll take a look at how these aspects and others can make wearing sports bracelets and sleep bracelets more effective, whether you wear one to help you push yourself to complete that extra set of reps or to help regain control of a good night’s rest. Just like all wearable tech, fitness bracelets are designed to enhance your overall well-being and quality of life, so they have to be made with a purpose. Would they be as effective if they were worn, say, around the neck or on the ankle? Let’s take a look.
Energy Meridians in the Body
According to Nobel Prize winner and biochemist Albert Szent-Györgyi, cultures and traditions long-relied on healing by moving energy within our bodies. Century after century, ancient healers believed that adjusting the energy of the body could help aid in digestion, physical activity, quality of sleep and overall well-being. The idea is that, so long as our bodies are well-balanced in their energies, they’re able to maintain the body’s healing pathways and keep them safe from disruptions that can lead to health issues.
Despite the fact that modern medicine has essentially ignored the use of these energy channels in terms of healing the human body, science now shows that they do exist, and that there’s more potential for healing than ever before with the help of energy-balancing wearable technology. What do energy channels have to do with fitness bracelets, you ask? These energies — called energy meridians — often pass through the wrist, where they can be adjusted for better health.
- The Heart Meridian — One of the most important upper body meridians is the heart meridian, which starts at the heart and flows through the midline of the lower arm and crosses the wrist and palm. Ancient healers believed that problems such as heart palpitations, pain, insomnia, night sweats and some mental health troubles stemmed from a disruption of energy in the heart meridian.
- The Lung Meridian — The wrist is also a pathway for the lung meridian, which starts inside the belly and ends at the outer tip of the thumb. Some people attribute certain respiratory concerns — especially coughs, chest pain and asthma — to a dysfunction or imbalance of the lung meridian.
- The San Jiao Meridian — Also called the “triple energizer,” the San Jiao meridian runs through the wrist, arm and shoulder. People who believe that this meridian has become imbalanced may link the disruption to issues in the side of the face, neck, throat and abdomen.
What’s the science behind the importance of different body meridians? According to ancient Chinese, Thai, Indian and Japanese medicine, these vital forces can become blocked and disrupted, leading to disease. Practices such as yoga, acupuncture, massage and wearing energy bracelets can help prevent blockages and disruptions that lead to disease and other malfunctions within the body.
Recently, Korean scientists confirmed the existence of meridians, which they now refer to as the “primo-vascular system.” These scientists linked the channels to the Acupuncture Meridian System and believe that the system can affect the energy and information relayed to the body through biophotons and DNA. This ability can be harnessed through wearable technology for a big-time boost.
Natural Frequency Technology
Other important elements to determining where wearables will have the most effect are natural frequencies. Natural frequencies are produced by activity in outer space — such as intense solar activity — that manifests itself all around us on the Earth. These frequencies are trapped between the Earth’s surface and the ionosphere.
These frequencies are not a new discovery. In fact, in 1952, a German physicist named Winfried Otto Schumann proposed the existence of natural electromagnetic waves surrounding our planet. Almost a decade later, German Biologist Ruetger Wever used a variety of experiments to show that these waves — called Schumann Resonances — can positively influence health, performance and overall well-being of humans.
In the 1970s, Schumann frequencies were detected from a balloon by a Japanese research team. Since then, companies like Philip Stein have used natural frequencies to help harness relaxation, focus, mood and sleep. We believe that harnessing the natural frequencies of the earth and aligning our bodies with those frequencies can help us feel calm, relaxed and focused.
So why do we put these pulses near our own pulses, so to speak? All of our wellness bracelets and watches contain small discs that act like antennas, pulling the natural frequencies from the Earth and channeling them into our bodies through the meridians that flow through our wrists. These well-being bracelets are designed for many purposes, including to help boost your focus, lower your stress levels and improve sleep.
Together, these frequencies work with natural meridians to improve overall health and well-being. As you already know, several of the body’s vital energy channels pass through the wrist, and boosting the energy frequencies in that area of the body can help the body better harness them where they’re needed the most.
The Aesthetic Angle: Stylish Wellness Bracelets
We won’t lie: we care about style as much as the next wellness wearable maker, which is one reason why we’ve chosen to produce wellness bracelets instead of other types of wearables. In fact, we started our business in 2003 making stylish, health-focused watches and didn’t produce our first line of jewelry until 2012. Of course, watches are almost always worn on the wrist, so it was a natural evolution for us to make stylish bracelets that help improve health, focus and mood.
Another reason why we love fitness bracelets and watches is because they can be customized to perfection. You can tailor your wellness wearable to your mood and personal style with an endless array of high quality replacement straps that suit your style, whether it be professional and buttoned-up (yes, that means we’ve got styles for you leather-lovers) or sporty and demanding. Watches and bracelets are some of the most easy-to-customize pieces of jewelry out there, so they’re a good choice even for people with a more unique sense of style.
The wrist is an ideal place for any gadget that you intend to wear around the clock because it’s not likely to get in your way while you sleep, work or exercise. Plus, it’s easy to glance at no matter what you’re doing. If you think that wearing a sport watch means you have to strap on something bulky and heavy, you haven’t yet seen the coolest new wellness watches on the market. These babies are small, sleek and low-profile, so they never slow you down while you’re hitting the gym or the trail.
Why Wear a Wellness Wearable?
Now that we’ve covered the science behind why these wellness wearables can boost the way you feel on a day-to-day basis, let’s get specific on what they can actually do. If you’ve ever looked at certain wearable products and wondered to yourself if a bracelet can actually help you live a better, healthier and more productive life, then you’ll definitely want to delve into the benefits of such wearables.
- Better Focus — One of the things we hear time and time again from consumers is that they want something that’s going to help them stay focused throughout the day and, in turn, be more productive at home, work or school. Wellness wearables can help restore your focus by re-balancing the body’s natural meridians and frequencies, helping you stay on task.
- Improved Sleep — Our sleep bracelets are a great natural way to help you improve your sleep quality. Sleep bracelets have specially tuned discs that help wearers sleep better and wake up feeling more refreshed.
- Relaxation — There’s a reason why ancient healers focused on meridians and energy in relaxation techniques like yoga and acupuncture. Wellness wearables can make you feel more relaxed and can assist you with coping with everyday life by harnessing frequencies that mimic the ones your body emits when you’re in your most relaxed state of being.
- Positivity and Mood — If you could tackle every day with a positive attitude and a bright outlook, there’s a good chance you’d see some pretty strong benefits! Wearables can help you feel better and more balanced by allowing you to sleep better and focus on the things that matter the most.
Which Kind of Wellness Wearable Should I Choose?
As you can tell, there are a variety of different wellness wearables on the market that you can sport on your wrist to make you look and feel better in your day-to-day life. At Philip Stein, our wearables are tailored to your needs. For example, you’d want to choose sleep bracelets if your primary concern is improving quality of sleep, and opt for sport bracelets if you want to improve energy, focus and endurance in the physical health department. Wellness watches and bracelets are both good choices for people who love functionality and style.
- Wellness Watches — The benefit of wearing a watch infused with natural frequency technology is three-fold: it can help you feel less stressed while adding a stylish accessory to your wardrobe and helping to ensure that you get where you’re going on time! On the other hand, wellness watches are meant to replace your typical wristwatch and tend to be a bit bulky compared with wellness bracelets. However, they’re always a solid gift for the watch collector on your list.
- Day Bracelets — It’s a stylish piece of jewelry that boosts health! Good-looking, sleek wellness bracelets are more low-profile and thinner than watches, so they’re good for the fashion-focused wearer. The straps come in tons of unique colors and materials for a super-trendy look on a day-to-day basis. They can also be worn with your existing watch.
- Sport Bracelets — These wellness wearables are, naturally, a little bit sportier than the alternatives. They’re specifically designed for the athlete or a person with an active lifestyle in mind, so they sit nicely on the wrist and don’t feel heavy or bulky while you’re working out or moving around. They have special natural frequency discs inside to help boost sport performance and make you feel like your best self when you’re working out.
- Sleep Bracelets — These options are still good-looking, but since they’re meant to be worn while you sleep, their primary design focus is comfort. Keeping them small, lightweight and close to the body helps ensure that you don’t feel them at all while you’re catching some sweet, sweet zzz’s. Choose the slim style for an even smaller and more low-profile feel.
At the end of the day, you need to choose a wellness wearable that was designed with intention and that matches your personal style. Wearing a small but mighty wellness bracelet on your wrist has the power to work with energized, natural frequencies in your body faster than it could in other areas. It also means more options for customization and style.